About the Stellenbosch, South Africa Program
- Live in the mountains of South Africa’s beautiful Western Cape Province, in a small, historic town only 45 minutes from Cape Town, the country’s most cosmopolitan city
- Study at the third-highest ranked university in all of Africa (Times Higher Education World University Rankings), an institution focused on student, faculty, and staff diversity and inclusivity, and on developing a multicultural campus culture
- Enroll in courses in a variety of disciplines taught in English, from the required South Africa history and culture course, to local and indigenous languages, sciences, liberal arts, mathematics, social sciences, and more
- Immerse yourself in the local culture by participating in the Voluntarism and Community Engagement (VCE) program, or by joining the International Student Organization (ISOS) and participating in club-organized events such as mountain climbing excursions, theatre visits, summer concerts, and trips to tourist destinations like Robben Island
- Enjoy local outdoor sports and activities including road biking, hiking, and canoeing, as well as one of National Geographic's World's 20 Best Surf Towns less than an hour away
Why Study in Stellenbosch?
Live and study in one of the most beautiful parts of South Africa, featuring historic architecture, rich cultural heritage, and easy access to outdoor and sporting activities. Stellenbosch is in the heart of South Africa's wine country, providing the cuisine, culture, and stunning scenery that entails. Surrounded by mountains in the Jonkershoek Valley, it offers the best of both worlds: a small, historic, university town with convenient access to the amenities of the bigger metropolitan area of Cape Town.
The program at Stellenbosch University offers the opportunity to create an educational program that meets your personal and academic goals. Choose courses for international students designed to familiarize you with South Africa’s unique culture, history, and politics, and “Mainstream” courses offered in a wide variety of disciplines that are open to all SU students.
SU focuses on inclusivity, diversity, and using its academic excellence and research activities to find sustainable solutions to some of South Africa and Africa's greatest challenges. Specifically, the university promotes a science-for-society approach, aimed at improving people's lives by eradicating poverty, and promoting human dignity and health, democracy and human rights, safety and security, and a sustainable environment and competitive industry.