While in Oslo, I was able to consult with the study abroad office when I needed help. They were able to discuss banking, how to find things on campus, and how to sign up for classes. Every time I went in to ask questions, they were very polite and able to answer my questions. Additionally, they organized activities for orientation and throughout the year to give international students an opportunity to meet up.

Participant in Oslo, Norway


Norway Passport and Visa Information


To study abroad, you must have a signed, valid passport from your country of citizenship that will not expire for a minimum of 6 months after your planned return date. If you do not have a passport, or it's about to expire, make sure you apply or renew as soon as possible! US Citizens can refer to the US Department of State’s website for more information regarding passports.

Visa/Study Permit

A study permit is official permission by a foreign government to live and study in that country. In the case of Norway, all semester and yearlong students must obtain a study permit prior to departure.

Further information will be posted to your USAC Student Gateway account in the USAC Visa Guide, which you will receive after you have been accepted into your USAC program (typically 4 months prior to your program start). Program Advisors in the Central Office are also available to answer any study permit questions you may have.

Students will be required to apply for their study permit in person at a VFS/Travisa visa application center. There are currently centers in New York City, Washington D.C., Houston, San Francisco, and Chicago. During this time, the VFS/Travisa center and Norwegian consulate will have your actual passport while your application is processed. Traveling internationally prior to the start of your study abroad program will interfere with your study permit application process. All costs related to obtaining a study permit, including travel, are your responsibility

Non-US Citizens

Check with your home country embassy or consulate, as well as the Norwegian Consulate regarding visa/study permit requirements. Non-US students should visit the UDI webpage to see if their country is on the list of visa-free countries. It is your responsibility to determine specific study permit or visa requirements and acquire your study permit prior to the start of your program.

Permanent residents of the US should check with US Immigration, as leaving the country for more than one year may jeopardize permanent resident status. Tax clearance and re-entry forms may also be necessary in these cases.

News from the BlogScroll upScroll down