The best feature was meeting people from all over the world in class.

Betsy Sanford
University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire

Participant in Pau, France


France Passport and Visa Information


To study abroad, you must have a signed, valid passport from your country of citizenship that will not expire for a minimum of 6 months after your planned return date. If you do not have a passport, or it's about to expire, make sure you apply or renew as soon as possible! US Citizens can refer to the US Department of State's website for more information regarding passports.


A student visa is official permission by a foreign government to live and study in that country. All US passport holders studying for more than 90 days must obtain a student visa prior to departure. The process begins online by registering with Campus France, and then making an appointment to apply in person at the French Consulate in your jurisdiction. French Consulates will not accept student visa applications more than three months before departure, but it is advisable to apply early within that timeframe. During part the process, the consulate will have your actual passport while your visa is being processed. Traveling internationally prior to the start of your study abroad program will interfere with your visa application process.

We offer free Group Visa submissions for students whose permanent or college/university address is in the jurisdictions of the Chicago and San Francisco Consulates. Coordinating group submissions with these consulates is a complex process; our ability to submit group batches of visa applications in a given jurisdiction may change with little notice and is outside of USAC's control. If the status of a group submission changes, you will be notified as soon as possible via your USAC Student Gateway/by your Program Advisor. Students outside these jurisdictions are responsible for submitting their own applications.

Further information will be posted to your Gateway account in the Visa Guide, which you will receive typically four months prior to the program start. Program Advisors in the Central Office are also available to answer visa questions you may have.

All costs related to obtaining a visa, including travel, are your responsibility.

Non-US Citizens

Check with your home country consulate, as well as the embassy of the country in which you plan to study, regarding visa requirements. Permanent Residents of the US should check with US Immigration as leaving the country for more than one year may jeopardize permanent resident status. Tax clearance and re-entry forms may also be necessary in these cases.

News from the BlogScroll upScroll down