Internships for Shanghai, China
Qualified students may apply for internships. Interns receive a maximum of three credits but no financial compensation. The schedule and number of work hours will be determined by the schedule of USAC courses. Students must send in their application forms prior to the start of the program with a precise definition of their field of interest.
Placement is not guaranteed by USAC, but determined by application to USAC and an interview with the internship sponsor once in China. Possible internships placements include the following examples:
- Hotel (reception; food and beverage)
- Travel agency (sales and operations/marketing support; translation)
- Private schools (operations/marketing; classroom assistance; summer camps)
- Non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- Architecture firm (architecture; design; landscaping)
- Telecom company (teaching business English)
- Multinational companies (sales support; teaching English; operations)
- Small/private businesses (entrepreneurship)
If interested, you will apply after you have been accepted into the program; consult the Internship Opportunities and Application document on Student Gateway for more information. Requirements to apply for an internship are: enrollment in the Shanghai program; minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; junior standing at time of internship; and six semesters of college level Chinese (or fluency in Chinese). A refundable fee of $100 is charged and returned upon successful completion of the internship.
Summer Shanghai Professional Development Internship Program
Students participating in the 10-week Shanghai Professional Development Internship Program will enroll in a 6-credit internship course and will work a minimum of 240 hours at their internship placement over the course of the summer sessions (25-30 hours per week). In addition to the internship course, you will have the option of enrolling in additional courses from the list of electives offered above (no more than 3 additional credits per session). See the Summer Session courses page for more specific information.