In general, any USAC internship:
- is typically only available during the Fall or Spring semester.
- there are summer internships in a limited amount of locations, noted below. Of special note is the Shanghai Professional Development Internship which occurs in the summer.
- will be taken for 1-3 credits, rather than for financial compensation.
- will be awarded a letter grade; your home university may convert the grade to a pass/fail.
- requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 and Junior standing.
- will not be finalized until arrival at the program site.
USAC-arranged internships are coordinated by USAC and staff at each program site; only students enrolled in that specific study abroad program are eligible. Hours and grades are based on the US system.
- Schedules and numbers of credits are determined in consultation with the work site mentor and the USAC Resident Director or Internship Coordinator.
- In a USAC-arranged internship, one credit requires a minimum of 45 work hours; two credits require a minimum of 90 work hours; three credits require a minimum of 135 work hours. Internship hours may not conflict with the student's USAC course schedule.
- Students will maintain a weekly log, confer with the Resident Director or Internship Coordinator during the semester, and submit a final summative and reflective essay.
- Interns, not USAC, will be responsible for transportation to and from the internship work site.
- USAC will attempt to assist you to meet the internship requirements of your home university; however, it will ultimately be your responsibility to make sure those home university requirements are met.
- Unless otherwise noted, a refundable fee will be collected and refunded upon the successful completion of the internship.
- See each program for more program-specific information. Unless noted, you must apply prior to the start of the program.
If you are interested in a USAC-arranged internship, you will apply once you have been accepted to the program. Consult the Internship Opportunities and Application document in your Student Gateway account. You will need to prepare a resume and a statement of purpose detailing what you hope to achieve in an internship abroad.
Internships are currently offered in the following programs:
- Brazil: Florianópolis (Fall and Spring)
- Chile:Santiago (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
- China: Chengdu (Fall and Spring)
- China: Shanghai (Fall and Spring, plus Summer Professional Development Internship Program)
- Costa Rica: Heredia (Fall and Spring)
- Costa Rica: Puntarenas (Fall and Spring)
- Costa Rica: San Ramón (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
- Czech Republic: Prague (Fall and Spring)
- France: Pau (Spring only)
- Germany: Lüneburg (Fall and Spring)
- Italy: Reggio Emilia (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
- Italy: Torino (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
- Italy: Viterbo (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
- Spain: Alicante (Fall and Spring)
- Spain: Bilbao (Fall and Spring)
- Spain: Madrid (Fall and Spring)
- Spain: San Sebastián (Fall and Spring)
- Thailand: Chiang Mai (Fall and Spring)
Host University-arranged internships are organized and evaluated by the Host University and will be credited on the host university transcript in the local grading system. If you are interested in a Host University-arranged internship, you will indicate your interest during the course registration process. Internships are currently offered in the following programs:
If you have further questions, please contact the USAC Enrollment Department: firstname.lastname@example.org.